Sunday, April 17, 2005

In a rather stunning interview, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg called the notion of municipal WiFi "one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard". Adam Werbach, a member of the Public Utilities Commission in San Francisco, which is considering offering very inexpensive or free WiFi access, is quoted as saying "It's like Bill Gates ridiculing Linux, or Sony saying that Apple doesn't know anything about the music business".

But the kicker is this quote from Seidenberg: "Why in the world would you think your (cell) phone would work in your house?". Well, maybe for the same reason I expect my television and radio to work there. A better question is why Mr. Seidenberg thinks they shouldn't.

One thing, Mr. Seidenberg is making it much easier for me to decide which phone service I won't be buying. Instead I'll look for a service which treats its customers with respect instead of derision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home